Sunday 22 February 2015

And relax...

As I sit in Hartford International airport I can't believe it's  7 weeks since I  arrived in a rather dishevelled state that I would be sitting here having graduated Winter Turf School. Through all the snow, storm's & quizzes me and my fellow Turf School students made it. We lost a couple by the wayside but I'd like to thank everyone who was there with me. A extra special nod to the 'lunch' crew who made that hour long break so enjoyable. I sip from the Scorpion bowl to our continued success & friendship. Where to begin with Turf School.? It's aptly named,  but that would be doing this great course a massive disservice. From Dr.Jung journey into Turf Pathology via South Korea & Wisconsen, the seemingly endless (but fascinating) lectures on soil science, turf physiology with it's new (for me) look at what exactly goes on & why to make the green stuff grow, the weird & wonderful world of Entomology, and turfgrass mathematics, never did I believe I would enjoy maths & calculations quite as much, a nod to Dr.Ebdon for this seemingly impossible task to help me grasp the number's game. And to  the rest of the subjects that came in their waves but who's enjoyment & interest was no less important to the whole experience. I'm leaving Turf School a wiser man in both terms of knowledge & understanding. I'd like to thank all those who made it possible, Toro, Bigga, my work colleagues & my family. It really has been a life changing experience.
So as I sit penning my thoughts I hope you've enjoyed what little sense I may have made over these last 7 weeks. I'm not finished yet this side of the pond. Onwards now to Toro HQ, a place I've been repeatedly told is colder than Amherst and then on to the GCSAA Show in San Antonio. Again all sure to be an amazing experience. I won't care if I never see snow again, and a sympathetic nod to the UK greenkeeper's currently sleeping in hotel lobby's as you wind your way to Texas. Keep the faith people, I'm told it's sunshine all the way in Texas. It's been enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment