Saturday 24 January 2015

America runs on dunkin....

So another week passes on my journey through Winter Turf School. Has it been any different, what has happened I hear you call? Well let me tell you.
Firstly, being British, let's start with the weather. It's warmed up this last week and been a barmy 1C, not normally something I'd take as a positive but as the UK has been shivering with some positively Artic conditions I've enjoyed the 'warm' week. We'll taking no pleasure I'm hasten to add in your freezing week!! But today we've returned to something resembling normality with Snow Storm Iola rolling in and dumping 8 inches of the white stuff on this fair part of the North East USA. But it's amazing to see how prepared they are here to tackle it, snow ploughs by the dozen have been doing there stuff and keeping things moving.
So what else, I made a little promise to myself as I set off for the US to try and engage in the local customs & traditions of my host's during my stay. So this week I've been to Dunkin Donuts for my breakfast  (not everyday..!!), loved it, & tried brisket, awful. Now I'm not sure what it was but I didn't enjoy it. But in my role as cultural ambassador I won't let the brisket incident spoil my future culinary experience while I'm this side of the pond. I've also been supporting the local micro brewing community, a role I'd be happy to do undertake anywhere. Just to put that out there...

So to Winter School activities. It's been a week dominated by maths. Now to say maths & numbers isn't my strong point would be putting it lightly, 5 goes to get my GCSE C grade at Maths is clear evidence of this. But I'd like to think that, as 5 attempts shows I can be fairly persistent. So as the number's have been coming thick & fast, in decimal, fraction and just about any other form numbers can present themselves I've tackled them head on. And with, I'm fairly happy to report decent results to date. But the good thing about being here is how the lectures have tailored the number's bit to help everyone get 'along with it'. I should mention I'm not the only person on the course who froze with fear when the number's where rolled out....
But as everything has been so far on the course it's all relevant and will be off great use to me in the future.
In addition to the maths I've learnt completely new things this week. Which just goes to show how much they pack in during a week. The terms Soil Colloids, Rubisco, Adsorption, Micelle & Isomorphous Substitution have all been intoduced during the week and I've been blown away but the terms and there function in keeping things green..!!
Finally for those who attended BTME I hope it was enjoyable & educational in equal measures. Judging by some of the photos I've had the misfortune o seeing it looks like normal service was resumed!!

So as Iola continues to cover us in snow I'll get back to some study as I await my next insight into the great American culinary world, pizza delivery....

For now, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment