Tuesday 13 January 2015

Up & ready for work..?!!

So I'm up and ready for work. The annoying thing is though I'm obviously (2000 miles..??!!) away from Muswell Hill Golf Club and wide awake. What's the problem I hear you ask?  We'll it's midnight in the US, so there's o real need for me to be up.! Does jet lag take a week to kick in? So thought I'd share my weeks experience's thus far. It's been a week dominated by Soil science, 3 lectures & 3 'Quiz's  (see previous post for definition), grass identification & Turf & fungicide pathology. Let's start with the soil science, ranging from soil textures to bulk & particle properties of the soil, this has to date probably been my most enjoyable lectures. It's been fascinating looking in depth at the workings & importance of the soil, almost like a look under the bonnet of the finely tuned engine that is our beloved turf..!! The grass identification classes involve us growing unidentified (to date ) specimens in the greenhouses here at Umass and making a report on our findings. It's always a pleasure to go into the laboratory facilities, one because it's a very impressive facility & the other because the temperature is set to warm. Something that can't be said for outside.!!
Finally the week (2 days..!?) has meant Dr.Jung. For those who have attended Winter Turf School I'm gonna leave it at that. More to follow for sure but his fungicide table is out and I'm trying to get to grips with it.

Outside of Turf School,  quick weather update,  another 3 inches of snow Monday morning, no problems for anyone, I'm happy to report there's some decent local brewing goes on (might have to set myself a Quiz..??!!!, and the local 'football ' team are doing quite well.

That's it for this installment, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment